L’Oso Restaurant is situated on Isola Maggiore in Lake Trasimeno, municipality of Tuoro, where the tourists board the characteristic ferry boats to go and visit the island. Isola Maggiore is the only one of the three islands in the lake to still be modestly inhabited. The other two islands are Polvese, recently declared a scientific park for didactic purposes, and Minore, privately owned.
L’Oso restaurant is exclusively family-run. The owners personally take care of the cooking, which includes an abundance of dishes based on fish from the lake, local products such as mushrooms and truffles, and regional specialities, along with a wide selection of wines. It is possible to book for dinners, ceremonies, or parties when you can taste the various dishes on the terrace or in the large garden overlooking the lake. In the evening, when the ferry boats are no longer running, the restaurant owners guarantee the trip back in a private boat.
The village on Isola Maggiore still has the same appearance as it did in the fifteenth century when it was created by fishermen. Every year it is the destination for thousands of visitors in search of natural and uncontaminated places. The restaurant is named after one of the steam boats in the first fleet from 1901 owned by the Guglielmi family, also owners of Castello Isabella. In 1933 Queen Elena, a guest of the noble family, was transported on the Oso ferry boat, the first passenger boat to sail on Lake Trasimeno.